Home   |   LCS Prints Store   |   About Me   |   FAQ   

Sunday, May 29, 2011

In the Quiet

I am sitting. Alone. The sun has been out for an astonishing three days. My better half is over working on the sailboat. I’ve waved my daughter off to her summer job. The plants have been watered, the tiny lettuce thinned; the laundry has yet to be put away—I’m stalling on the grocery shopping too.


Outside, wormy strings from the oak trees float down. One group of rhododendron hangs tired with blossoms that have passed.  Behind and to the side others pop with pink and purple blooms. In the garden, daylilies and iris, bee balm and sun drops wait to explode; everything is lush and green and rooted in fresh earth.

The weekend contained a prom night for the resident teen that involved a 3:00 a.m. parent pick up from an after prom party, followed by a taxing day at the cheese shop for me and then a birthday supper for the man of the house. In spite of falling asleep early last night I’m carrying fatigue like a load of cement slab. It’s enough to sit under the patio umbrella and contemplate the robin singing in the back, the ant hills growing in the patio cracks, the chipmunks scuttling under the step to the sliding door, the wind exhaling through the woods lining the yard. A hummingbird dives toward the feeder, and levitates—pausing before getting on with the task ahead.

Kind of like me.

13 comments:

Reena said...

Nothing better than doing nothing sometimes! Perfect day for that.

Jan Morrison said...

Liza, I do so love your writing. Just the right touches of detail and the rhythm that matches the one I like to read! And yes, a Sunday alone sounds pretty good, even if one is tired. Our student was at a drama rehearsal all day and the step-dot at her ma's til tomorrow, so the sweet patootie and I had a free day. We didn't do much, just our regular stuff but it was kind of nice not having to think about anyone else. Yep.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I think I've been carrying the other part of that cement slab---so tired. I took a couple of days to read, watch movies and take long walks. There's a lot to be said for a bit of quiet. I'm ready to get up and go again. Hope you get recharged, too.

Andria said...

I always enjoy your lovely descriptions. You manage to make everything seem so magical.

Lydia Kang said...

I really enjoy reading your blog posts. Their so full of introspection and beautiful writing.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Where you getting all that sunshine? Isn't it supposed to come here first before it gets to you? We've never had such a wet spring. My dad who is 90 can't recall one, so I say it never happened.

Anonymous said...

Ah, if we only had the abounding energy of that hummingbird. I'm getting tired just thinking about it.

Sharon said...

The rhythms of life reflected in the eyes of an artist. What a truly lovely post.

Wine and Words said...

I was just saying how we can miss ourselves in these weekends we live through other people's moments. Graduations. Birthdays. Proms. Etc. But they are important moments to those whom we are important. Soon enough we get back to ourselves, which you have so eloquently done here :)

Helen Ginger said...

Sitting and enjoying the quietness and stillness is a wonderful reprieve. Enjoy it. If possible, find a few minutes each day to be quiet and alone in your thoughts.

'Yellow Rose' Jasmine said...

A really nice image of how wonderful it can be to 'check out' for a bit, even just a little while. Lovely. I think I am beginning to be OK with doing this more often myself.

glnroz said...

Tues morning here,,ummm my coffee seems to have a better flavor now,,,

Mary Sullivan Frasier said...

As tired as you are my dear, it seems like it's the "good kind of tired". (if that males sense) Being tired from accomplishing your goals is always so much better than the fatigue that stems from boredom.

Come on by my blog when you get a moment... I have a little blog lovin' for you!

:~) Mrs B