Home   |   LCS Prints Store   |   About Me   |   FAQ   

Monday, January 9, 2017

Window Wisdom?




As I write this, I sit at what I call my winter desk, my laptop on a table in the warm front-of-the house, overlooking our yard thick with last night's snow. Years ago, I sat at this same table in midwinter discovering the richness gleaned from a practice of regular writing.  Similar to the first time I watched a golf match on HD and realized the gallery was made up of the faces of individual spectators verses an indistinct blur, every day I witnessed details I’d been missing. 
  
We had some trees removed from our yard recently and my view form this spot has changed.  I notice a pine leaning in the lot across the street, its top branches caught on a towering oak.  Now at night, I see a light far off in the woods and wonder to whom it belongs.  For all I know these things have been there for years and would have remained invisible to me, if it weren’t for this shift in outlook. Our thermometer registers eighteen degrees, but warmed by the heat from a cast iron radiator I look out knowing while writing from this vantage point has become customary, it’s still possible to see things with fresh eyes.  

Across the street, our brand-new neighbor stands in the street shooting photos of his of his house after the snow, the first time he’s seen his home draped in white.  In my mind, he’s focusing on the same thing I am--how with a change in perspective, there’s always something lovely to see.

11 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

How wonderful you can still see something new after all these years.

mshatch said...

There's always something new to see - if you look.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Everything changes and so do our views. It is always good to let in some more light and see things from different perspectives.

Bish Denham said...

It's strange how, at the same time, it can be so easy and so difficult to change perspective. We have a view of a hill from our porch. After 30 plus years you'd think we'd sort of ignore it. But we take moments through out most days to notice things: the play of light and shadow, whether the "invisible tree" is visible, whether the hill is "smiling" or not, where the sun is rising... so many small things, all of which delight us.

Joanne said...

you and I are in the same mind frame. I shared a Monday moment (from Sat) with an observation on new perspective. Your writing area sounds warm and comfy. Happy writing!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I would love sitting at your desk. I have a window but not right in front of me. My room also gets a little chilly in the winter.

Connie said...

You have a beautiful view! A change in perspective is great for seeing things you've never seen before.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Beautiful thoughts beautifully written! I love it when we get a change in perspective. I started taking more pictures a year ago because I realized that when I look for new, crisp, beauty, or interesting angles, I see more.

Pixel Peeper said...

You have a beautiful view!

You should take the same picture during the other three seasons (and, of course, share it with us).

Karen said...

Beginner's mind. Lovely.

Nick Wilford said...

That's the thing about being a writer - noticing something different in the everyday. Looks like you have a lovely view!