Home   |   LCS Prints Store   |   About Me   |   FAQ   

Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Priming the Pump - IWSG August 2018


It's IWSG Day. The goal of this blog hop is to share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds. IWSG is the brainchild of Alex Cavanaugh, our brilliant ninja leader. Co-Hosts this month:Erika Beebe, Sandra Hoover, Susan Gourley, and Lee Lowery!

 
 Last week, I had a hankering to write a blog post. Not an IWSG post, just a post…the way I used to so regularly. But that didn’t happen before IWSG time rolled round again, so it appears I’ve got to twine the two. Lacking sage words with which to comment on the question of the month, I cast about seeking a topic, but nothing comes. How about stream of conscious…which is often a great way to prime the pumps?

When I’ve been stuck for words in the past, I’d go for a walk, take a picture and come back and write about the experience, or even the picture itself, but it has been a challenging year to date. So much so, when I pulled out my camera the other day I discovered I hadn’t picked the thing up since February. I haven’t been walking much either, and it occurs to me that my brain is starting to atrophy. The muscles are weakening. Brain exercise. That’s what I need—new experiences to keep the creative juices flowing. 

In The Artist’s Way, Julia Cameron suggests taking artist’s dates— once a week outings on your own to engage in or explore something that has interest to you. In the past, I’ve taken walks by the beach, tramped through museums, hiked nature trails, visited historic sites, and checked off things my bucket list. I’ve even driven down certain streets, just because I never had. Artist’s dates require focused time spent in ways that inspire creativity. Here's a link to 101 artist date ideas. Historically, my artist dates almost always triggered inspiration. I’m realizing right now that camera or no camera, it’s time to get myself out on a few. 


 For your viewing pleasure: the last picture on my roll...
  

How to you inspire yourself during writing dry spells?

20 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That was a while ago, wasn't it?
That's a good idea to take a day to do something new and artistic.

Joanne said...

It is definitely a plus to take a break and a walk - anywhere - nature or even around a mall. But act like it's a safari and you are checking out the wild creatures who inhabit the space. Anything can spark the brain.

You are such a good photographer too. Enjoy it. No pressures!

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Get going, Liza! And take some more photos. The ones you share here are always great. :)

Julie Flanders said...

That picture is gorgeous! I second Madeline's comment - hope you are taking and sharing more photos soon.
I love the artist date idea. Thanks for sharing the link.

Nick Wilford said...

Artist's dates are a great idea. The well will definitely run dry if we don't get out and experience things. I love the picture!

Anonymous said...

I've always loved images for inspiration - sort of a "what if" trigger for the brain. Glad you found Julia's book useful - a fresh perspective will help us out of a slump.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I like that. Looking for ideas, changing our perspective around by actively looking for inspiration is good for the mind and soul.

Bish Denham said...

I have bookmarked the page for 101 artist date ideas. Thank you for sharing that.

And that picture is beautiful! Kind of refreshing during these very hot, dry, Texas summer days.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

The idea of just-for-me artist dates to kick-start the old hibernating inspiration and enthusiasm sounds downright... inspirational! I will enthusiastically embrace this idea. Can't hoit!

cleemckenzie said...

I like the idea of bringing home a picture and writing about it. A great way to loosen up the old writing brain.

emaginette said...

Dry writing spells bring on reading spells, so I can't or don't complain. I love to read as much as write. :-)

I will admit that if the dry writing spells lasts longer than a few weeks. I do get scared. It doesn't happen often. Knock on wood.

Anna from elements of emaginette

Unknown said...

I do happy to read someone else reference “The Artist’s Way!” That Book changed so much of my outlook on creativity and living a creative life. Artist dates were always a challenge for me. So busy, and whatnot. In any case, good for you for identifying a need to refill your well. Thank you for the post and happy writing to you.

Connie said...

Brrr...that photo made me shiver. I love the idea of going on artist's dates. That sounds like a great way to stir up some inspiration and creativity.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Love your beautiful, inspiring picture. You have a real talent.

Diane Burton said...

I love your idea of going for a walk with your camera. Even though it's been a while, I suggest you start walking again. But then, you know what to do that inspires you. Best wishes.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I have a writers' meeting once a month and that always inspires me. Also going to a bookstore is inspiring.

Charity Bradford said...

The last time I needed to jump start my writing I sat down and wrote a short story that made fun of a romance trope. I had no intention of ever sharing it with anyone. It was for me, but I had so much fun that I ended up putting it on my website as a freebie read spoof kind of thing. It helped free my mind and let me get serious again.

Hey, maybe that's what I should do for the IWSG anthology!

Good luck getting creative again!

Arlee Bird said...

What you described sounds like me in so many ways. I used to feel compelled to write at least a few blog posts each week and now I feel obligated to do a one a week and do so without much zest. Of late music has inspired me so at least I've had some new bursts of creativity.

Maybe we're just passing through a phase.

For me cleaning house can be an inspiration.


Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

Arlee Bird said...

Walks can be nice, but I haven't been walking much lately. I too have been in a dry spell of blog writing, but not for lack of words or inspiration. Seems like a lot of bloggers have cut way back on posting.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

Unknown said...

I always make these artist's dates, be it a walk in the park or a new street, travel or a trip to the museum or an exhibition! Always very nourishing!