Home   |   LCS Prints Store   |   About Me   |   FAQ   

Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Picking Favorites - IWSG June 2019




It's IWSG Day. The goal of this blog hop is to share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds. IWSG is the brainchild of Alex Cavanaugh, our brilliant ninja leader. The awesome co-hosts for June are Diane Burton, Kim Lajevardi, Sylvia Ney, Sarah Foster, Jennifer Hawes, and Madeline Mora-Summonte.


This month's optional question: Of all the genres you read and write, which is your favorite to write in and why?

I write women’s fiction, personal essays and poetry but could I say I have a favorite? I’m not sure. All I know is that whatever I am immersed in at the time is my favorite. So, if I’m writing stories about women who overcome life-altering obstacles, they rope me in, take me on trips to other places, plunge me into other lives. Once I’ve completed a draft, the editing drives me to contemplate every word, sentence, paragraph, scene, and arc. While I’m in the midst of it, it feels like my best and most passionate work.

Then there are the essays. Most often lately, they appear here in Middle Passages. Each month, when it’s time to produce another post I dive in, focusing on nuance, the style, my voice. Once I’ve completed a first draft, I walk away. On return, I see where the essay needs to go and tweak and massage, making it the best writing I can achieve at the time. I think about the bloggers who will see the piece, wondering what their impressions will be on reading it. Is it good enough? Is it clear? Is my point worth making?

Lastly, there’s the emotional writing—poems that come to me during times of deep and raw feeling. Poetry, where every single word must have pure meaning, saves me when grief, or fear or sometimes even joy, overwhelm me. I'm not sure sure I write poems as much as they find me and take me captive. Once one does, it's impossible for me to be free of it. I spend hours switching up words, moving lines, feeling rhythm, counting meter. It’s a good thing I don’t write too many poems, because when I do, I can’t stop. I sneak copies of the poem-in-progress where ever I go. Pencil in changes. Replace words in my head while trying to sleep.

So, you ask, which is my favorite? All writing from which I return blinking, oblivious to what is happening in the real world, is my favorite.

Funny story. At work, I am the editor of a monthly newsletter and often have to write short snippets for filler. My office door is always open, my back to the door. At least once a month, someone will pop in on me while I’m writing one of these things and I jump sky high. I admit that sometimes an expletive must be deleted. You see, even this kind of writing transports me to the point I don't hear what’s happening around me. I’m not sure who is more startled by my reaction, me or the folks I work with, but lately my office peers have begun to knock.  

What's your favorite type of writing and how do you react when you are interrupted from your work?

17 comments:

Karen Baldwin said...

It is hard to pick just one genre. And there's nothing more fun than being so engrossed in a story you forget your surroundings.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'd say it's time to turn the desk around but I imagine they would still startle you!

Natalie Aguirre said...

I like women's fiction too where the characters grapple with life changes. But I don't write in the genre. For me right now, I really enjoy MG and YA fantasy.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I don’t like to sit with my back to the door. Too many people - and too many other things! - can sneak up on you. :o

Sarah Foster said...

Ha! I totally get being so in the zone with writing that people startle you.

The Cynical Sailor said...

I'm always in awe of people who write poetry. It's such a rich and nuanced art form. I've always thought my writing is far to clumsy to try my hand at it.

I can't pick a favorite genre either. I've been trying over the past couple of years to branch out and read more widely. I've been surprised at some of the genres I've ended up enjoying.

Cheers - Ellen

Nick Wilford said...

It's great to be able to do different types of writing because they're all satisfying in a different way. I love the short answer you give - if it takes you away from the real world you're doing something right!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

People can talk to me when I'm working and I don't even hear them. It's a buzzing in the background.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

It sounds like for you, choosing a favorite genre would be as impossible as choosing a favorite child. Each is unique, and each is well-loved. To be able to lose yourself in your work is a blessing.m (For you, anyway. Maybe not so much for the people around you. HA!)

Jennifer Lane said...

I love this comment:

"So, you ask, which is my favorite? All writing from which I return blinking, oblivious to what is happening in the real world, is my favorite."

What a great description of the writing process at its best! It sounds like you're really good at focusing.

I don't write poetry, but I enjoyed writing song lyrics for one of my characters (who was a song writer). Sort of like a poem, I guess.

Joanne said...

I'm with you on variety and whatever strikes in the moment. I read a wide variety too. So I"m not a genre person. More of a generalist.

Tanza Erlambang said...

I like many genres

Diane Burton said...

I'm in awe of poets. To write so concisely, emotionally, evocative. I'm much too wordy. lol I would turn my desk around. I can't stand my back to a door. But that's just me.

Carol Kilgore said...

One of my friends is a poet. He says the poems find him, too. I love writing when I'm oblivious to everything. Usually with me that isn't the case. When I'm writing I usually have to jump up a few times every hour with dogs or people needing attention. What matters is that we DO get it done :)

Debbie Johansson said...

When I get interrupted from writing I tend to get cranky (same with reading). I think it's probably because I'm enjoying being in that other world way too much! ;)

Connie said...

My favorite line in this post is this: "All writing from which I return blinking, oblivious to what is happening in the real world, is my favorite." That rings so true with me. If I can lose myself in it and be spirited away by it, that will always be my favorite too.

mshatch said...

I tend to go for anything in the scifi/fantasy category. I usually write in my room with the door closed and boy do I hate it when someone knocks when I'm in the zone!