Home   |   LCS Prints Store   |   About Me   |   FAQ   

Wednesday, August 7, 2024

A Real Download - IWSG August 2024

 


Welcome to IWSG Day. The goal of this blog hop is to share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a haven for insecure writers of all kinds. IWSG is the brainchild of Alex CavanaughThank you to August co-hosts Feather Stone, Kim Lajevardi, Diedre Knight, C. Lee  McKenzie, and Sarah - The Faux Fountain Pen! To read posts from other contributors,  click here.

August optional question: Do you use AI in your writing and if so how? Do you use it for your posts? Incorporate it into your stories? Use it for research? Audio?

Typically when I write an IWSG post, I start it a week ahead, pretty much as soon as we get the email reminder with the month’s optional topic. But last week I received the email in the middle of my second week of a “staycation,” and could think of nothing relevant to the topic to write. In fact, I couldn't think of anything to write at all. So I tabled it. When Sunday arrived, my last day before going back to work, I spent it grocery shopping, reading at the beach, and then getting myself organized to get back into the work routine. I woke after midnight feeling normal work anxiety along with a sudden shock that I'd forgotten to get back to my IWSG post. Even then, I had no idea what I would write. I’m woefully undereducated as it pertains to AI and had no other topic. I tossed and turned, wondering if I could bail out with pictures of my hydrangeas, but oops, I did that last month.

As a result, here I sit, 6:37 am on Monday in front of the computer and this is what you get. A brain dump. Not an artificially crafted piece, but one generated as a result of my conviction that even when I have no idea for a post, if I sit down to write, something will come. So, back to the topic at hand. Writing using AI? Nope. While I suppose there are places where it can be utilized effectively (Legal briefs? Insurance documentation? Real estate closings?) my guess is, I won’t be using it for my creative writing anytime soon.

Like everyone else, of course I USE AI. How can we not? Search engines, navigation systems, online credit cards and banking, Venmo, the computer in my car, even my new oven is Wi-Fi enabled. It sends a message to my phone when it has preheated and another when the timer goes off. I could go on and on--to the point I worry about the world of hurt we’ll all be in when the internet crashes sometime. Hints of that are already happening (Hello, last week's airline outage). What's our back up plan? I know I’m an antique when I pull out my paper checks, and the yellowing Rand McNally road atlas in my car may be severely outdated, but in a pinch it could still get me from point A to point B (although the odds of getting stuck in traffic will be greater). I hang on to these vintage tools because I’m pretty sure we're so reliant on technology that we've lost ability to function without it. They're MY back up plan. And then there’s this. I picture the old Terminator movies and wonder if that’s our future? Will artificial intelligence turn on us?

And that sums up the difference between AI and me. I have the capacity for worry.

But—I also have the ability to think positively. So, as I “create” this post, I remind myself that artificial intelligence wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for human intelligence in the first place. This essay is my little demonstration of the real deal. Using my own brain, in less than twenty minutes, I created the barebones of this post that I’ll tweak to turn into my August IWSG obligation.

There you have it. It’s now 6:56 am.

Full disclosure: I’ll use the AI from Microsoft Word’s “Read Aloud” function as I revise this piece, before scheduling it to publish on Wednesday.  

6:58 am.

First draft done.

What's your writing world experience with AI?

14 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

And you still put together a very thoughtful post.
Smart idea to hang on to some physical items for that time when the Internet is down. Or the Terminator becomes reality.

Natalie Aguirre said...

For not knowing what to write, you did great. Yes, it's very troublesome when there is a major computer meltdown like happened a little while ago. Fortunately, I didn't have to travel to my mohter-in-law's funeral until about a week after the crash. We rely on our phones and the Internet so much these days.

Señorida Anastasia said...

True. We have lost our ability to function without AI. Not yet. Not completely. But it's the world where AI does the homework for kids while they rot their brain watching baby shark. AI is inevitable but we do have to draw a line.

Leigh Caron said...

Love your answer that you have the capacity for worry. Very funny

cleemckenzie said...

As you point out, we've lived with AI for years. Since we're beginning to see the huge ramifications and because we really don't understand just what those mean, we're nervous about it. It's now a game of catch-up. How to regulate? What to expect?

Jamie said...

Not sure how we'd prevent AI from turning on us when humans are constantly turning on each other. One side's utopia is the other side's dystopian nightmare. Some human-created program is supposed to do better??? If the AI picks a religion, a large chunk of the population will be required to hate it, but if it picks none, that's even more hated. There is absolutely no winning with humans.

emaginette said...

I love your back-up plan and may just add it to my plan. My car is old—no back-up camera or computer I can interact with. So just downloaded an app for my phone that has all the bells and whistles the new car computers have. hehehe

Anna from elements of emaginette

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Liza - yes inadvertently we use AI all the time. I just disengage as much as I can - so no I won't be using AI knowingly ... cheers Hilary

Sarah Foster said...

Sometimes you don't know what to write and a brain dump is required. Nothing wrong with that!

Nick Wilford said...

Yep, AI is already embedded in our lives and we don't always realize how much until suddenly things grind to a halt. Of course it's useful and we take it for granted but it's scary to think we are already past the point of no return.

kimlajevardi.com said...

Not bad for a last-minute post.

Joanne said...

Perfect. Love your human factor post. I fear also for AI kids that are all robotic.

Rebecca M. Douglass said...

I'm with you about paper maps, and I'm damned if I'm going to connect my appliances to the internet (though some of them have that capacity, I don't have to turn it on). Unlike AI, I can worry, I can dream, I can love, and I can grieve.

Emma said...

Well said! All along I have been skeptical of AI's capacity for creative writing. There's just some things we do as humans that AI can never touch.