Home   |   LCS Prints Store   |   About Me   |   FAQ   

Monday, June 15, 2009

Out on a Limb

A hundred years, and several lifetimes, oh all right, I guess it was only four months ago-- the day after the corporate restructuring that altered my life, I wrote in my first Middle Passages post:

“Writing about my reinvention and job search will give purpose to my days, and perhaps direction in my career.”


Back then, I had no idea how important and valuable this writing tool would become for me. But as I reread that statement, it’s clear that as far back as February 5th, even as I reeled from shock while professing not to know what I’d do next, my compass arrow was on the “write” course all along--only I lacked the confidence to admit it.

Middle Passages has indeed given me purpose--to the point that when I know I can’t write on a given day, I spend precious time running around with my camera taking pictures of the sea, or my garden--anything to avoid a missed post (and a certain sister’s gentle teasing when nothing new appears). Even more critical though, is the direction Middle Passages has given to my career. Through this blog I have proven to myself that I can write regularly and on demand—and that even when I am struggling to find the words, I can coax something out.

I am still, in so many regards, a “newbie” when it comes to writing but continue to school myself, reading resources recommended by writing experts--reading that begets more reading and more writing, I find. Now the true business end of that homework, as I mentioned last week, means plugging through The Copywriter’s Handbook in an effort to figure out how, exactly, to make my passion for words pay a bit more than peanuts.

I love the kind of writing that you find in Middle Passages posts and plan at an important level to continue in that vein. But the fact of it is that literary types are everywhere, it’s a challenging market; and busy editors drown behind stacks of hopeful submissions. In a perfect world, I’d sit here at my cubby all day, writing essays that would all be published, but we all know how perfect this world is. Eventually, I need to put my skills to work in a way that is more, err, lucrative. So I am learning about “writing to sell” and “copy motivators” and “unique selling propositions” and here is what it has come down to.

If I’ve learned anything over the last few months, it’s this. In the movie Field of Dreams, secret voices whisper “If you build it they will come.” In my Field of Dreams the voices say, “If you say it, it will happen.” So, I’m saying it--in print. Over the summer, I will be developing a plan to hang out a shingle as a freelance business writer. In the meantime, there is much more I need to know and so much more I have to do. Middle Passages will still be a regular part of my schedule, but it’s possible there may be days that I can’t write, and other times when the subject matter expands. We’ll see how it all goes. In the meantime, I’m ready, willing and able. Stay tuned; cross your fingers, and if you know anyone who needs to hire a writer, please call me.

There. It's in print.

And, if you are reading this, it means hallelujah; I had the nerve to click "Publish Post."

No comments: