Ah, the year-end swan song. This year, out loud, we are chanting, “Thank God” for the end of 2009, but if you listen to my heart folks, you’ll hear: “Thank God for 2009.” OK, the bank account is suffering. That’s the check mark in the negative column. Here though, are the positives:
1) It was a forced decision, sure, but I finally moved on from the career I was good at, but that didn’t inspire or enrich me--well, other than financially.
2) I began Middle Passages--unplanned, in shock, but out it came, like a river after a torrential rain fall. Through this blog I learned that not only can I write, I will write, and I can hold myself accountable to make sure that I do write--regularly. Stay tuned, because it’s going to get even better.
3) I was published, twice. Once in a sort of semi-major publication. Oh, I wish you all could have seen my face the day the editor of the Boston Globe Magazine called me to tell me she’d be using His and Her Unemployment. If I recall correctly, there was some dancing involved--witnessed by visitors that were in our house that day. There, another positive. Become “redundant,” write about it, get published. Who knew?
4) Including payment for His and Her Unemployment and All Together Now, (which occurred before I set up my D/B/A bank account) as well as the six, count ‘em, six writing projects that I completed by year end, LCS Writes, my freelance writing business, is actually in the black. It’s a very tiny black; more like a shadow really, but maybe in 2010 it will pay me a salary.
5) I have blog readers who are supportive, kind, generous in their comments and over-the-top helpful for which I am over-the-moon grateful.
6) For the first time in my 51 year old life, I am in love with what I do.
So there you go. If that’s what happens in a bad year, bring on 2010. There’s the glass half-empty or the glass half-full mentality. Pop the champagne. My glass is bubbling over.
Best wishes to all of you for a safe celebration and a fulfilling, prosperous and healthful year.
What are some good things that happened to you in 2009?