Home   |   LCS Prints Store   |   About Me   |   FAQ   

Friday, September 17, 2010

The Cookies Look Like Hell, but they Taste Okay

Here’s the deal. I could write about the morning walk I took with friends through the reservation; the way the river drifted like slow glass through motionless cattails until two kayakers (one with a dog no less), dimpled the water as they paddled by. I could tell you how we shivered in the 59 degree shade until we emerged in a clearing where a shingled boathouse rests in full sun—and that I would have ransomed my cat for a cup of coffee plus an hour stretched out on the built-in bench lining the rails. Instead we kept walking.

I could tell you about the boardwalk that meanders through the low areas in the woods and how it heaved and tilted like a drunk stumbling across the pond—we weaved and leaned as a result, and how, on the edge of the path, amid a rippling forest of green wetland foliage, one friend found a brilliant red blossom.

Next, I could describe the after-walk cup of coffee I finally drank in a small-town Starbucks wannabe, and how I thought the caffeine-buzz resurrected me. Through its electric-charge I drove home, and then remembered, backed out and visited two banks, the post office, and returned to our chilly house to write this post. With a comforter pulled over my shoulders and the computer on my lap, for the first time in the eighteen months since I’ve been pseudo “at home,” I fell dead-dog asleep—in the middle of the day. No kidding.  It's possible there were snores involved.

I could tell you all that, and I guess I just did. But I’ll add this. It wasn’t until late in the afternoon, after twiddling around reading blogs, organizing photographs, picking up the house and deciding that the only way the day would be salvaged was to bake chocolate chip cookies, that I came-to enough to produce this post—which distracted me.  Darn it all, I didn't put in enough flour. 

Some days are just like that.

13 comments:

Anne Gallagher said...

I laughed as I got to the end of this post. I'd kill for a homemade chocolate chip cookie.

"Where snores live" what a great line.

Jennifer Shirk said...

You've a great way with description. :)
And I bet those cookies were still yummy.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

But I'm sure you ate them regardless!

glnroz said...

I am glad you didnt tell me all that,,,I thinnk it would have made me want to take the day off... yawnnnnn,, now i am ready to hit my work list......

Helen Ginger said...

Aww, man, I wanted to hear about your walk! Instead you went on and on about the cookies. ;-D

Where's the picture of the cookies? Less flour means more chocolate, so it's all good.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

You dragged me right along on that walk. Talk about great description--I've been on those drunken walkways before. ;) But why am I sleepy so early in the morning?

Robin said...

As always your word choice is so precise and right when you work with description. That walk was crystal clear ~ every part of the journey. I have gotten to the point now that after I read your posts I back up and read them sentence by sentence just admiring your specificity in your word choice. Whatever you are doing, it is always so vital and alive.

Sorry about the flour. I love chocolote chip cookies.

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

Haha! Yes, some days are just like that. Now watch me roll my eyes. :P You goose, sounds like you had an amazing day! A beautiful walk, a coffee stop and an afternoon nap? Oh yeah. I think the flourless chocolate chip cookies were just to remind you that nothing can be absolutely perfect.

Tabitha Bird said...

But you did have the most beautiful morning :) Some cookies have less flour- I think that might be life :)

Erin MacPherson said...

Ha! I was totally NOT expecting your post to end like that. So funny... gorgeous writing, too!

Arlee Bird said...

Sounds like a pretty nice day--the walk sounds wonderful. I love this time of year.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Carol said...

I just found your blog through Robin at your daily dose. I'm following you and can't wait to read more.

Carol-the gardener

Rose said...

been gone but back. Hi! you did and didn't tell us anything .Ha! Ha! the cookies were probable good take care. rose