Home   |   LCS Prints Store   |   About Me   |   FAQ   

Monday, November 24, 2014

A Piece of Thanks



The visiting priest in church today suggested that before we say grace on Thanksgiving, everyone take a moment to mention something for which they are thankful.  It’s a lovely sentiment, one I’ve wanted to adopt for a long time.  But there’s a problem.  This year, there will be twenty-five of us seated around the table (four tables, actually), and I’m pretty sure the food would be stone cold before we all finished.  It’s a juggling act getting the meal out as it is, so I’m not going to ask that of our guests.

Instead, I’m taking this time out today to think about what I’m thankful for, not the least of which is that this writing life allows me to visit deep inside myself and recognize the person I’ve evolved into over the last several years is someone I like a lot. And please know how thankful I am for all you supportive readers.  You mean more to me than I can ever explain.

I am thankful for my dear and industrious husband, who is currently out raking for the sixth weekend in a row so the place looks nice on Thursday.  I’ll be out there helping to drag tarps full of leaves into the woods for him soon, and I’m thankful that I’m strong enough to do that and, because I’m twelve pounds lighter than I was three months ago, the hauling is that much easier.

This year, I give special thanks that our daughter seems to have discovered a path she loves.  Since September, we’ve witnessed her grow into a pastry expert as she attends culinary school.  She's doing so after grinding it out in the kitchen of a local restaurant kitchen for a year, which makes me respect her will and her dedication.  Cooking has always been my means to nurture those I love.  It's wonderful to watch as she turns something that has offered me such joy, into her career. 
 
And, yep, I’m thankful to hand off the rolling pin to her.  I'll be the sous chef as she makes the Thanksgiving pies this year.  Food is memory, and baking pie reminds me of growing up and my mother, and the comfort of home.  Creating things from scratch is my way of bestowing those feelings on my own little family, and now it appears our daughter may be carrying on that tradition. 

Watching someone you love learn and grow and come into herself in a way you treasure, well, let me tell you, that's some kind of tasty treat.





Wishing you all a wonderful holiday . . . and lots of pie.



11 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's wonderful your daughter has found her own path - and is cooking your pies this year.
Have a wonderful thanksgiving and I don't blame you for not making all those people give an individual thanks.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I believe that baking sweet things makes one a happier person. How nice that your daughter has found her calling.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

It sounds like you're going to have a lovely day - enjoy! :)

Anonymous said...

I've always appreciated pie lol....how nice your daughter has found her way.

Anne Gallagher said...

I've always loved baking as it pertains to cooking rather than cheffing as it were.

There's something so grounding about smelling what comes out of the oven, cakes and pies and breads rather than turkey or roast or goose.

Yay, Meg!!!! Good on you.

And Yay Liza for raising such a creative wonderful daughter.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Wishing you the best Thanksgiving. Very cool about your daughter. My children are funny in that they don't want a single dish to change for Thanksgiving. I'm not permitted to try something new and I get what you say about food creating memories.

Robin said...

I am thankful for you Liza. You are one of the few people who began this blogging journey with me and are STILL HERE. When I post about where I am now versus then, you are one of the few people who really understands what that means.

It's a joy to find yourself. Considering the length of our own journeys toward that endeavor, what a blessing that your daughter is getting there sooner!!!

That pie looks delicious!!! Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Joanne said...

Just came inside from raking leaves (and we have no trees in our backyard, but get the neighbor's shake). I'd help you out if I were close. Anyway - very nice to pass on the cooking joys and to share Thanksgiving with such a crowd. I'm thankful for new friends this year (thanks to Old Broads anthology). So enjoy the week and special day, and plenty of good cheer on into 2015. Happy Thanksgiving

Jennifer Shirk said...

That pie looks to pretty to eat. LOL

Happy Thanksgiving!

Connie said...

Happy Thanksgiving! That pie looks delicious! That is so wonderful that your daughter has found her niche and is happy there. :)

Carol Kilgore said...

That pie looks FABULOUS! Congrats to you and your daughter :)