Home   |   LCS Prints Store   |   About Me   |   FAQ   

Thursday, April 8, 2010

All Over the Place

I clocked a slow mile-and-a-half strolling with a friend and her elderly mother early today before spending a few hours writing, um, I mean practicing. Then I accepted an unexpected invitation to walk again--a three mile power walk this time.

Now it’s late. I’m low on blog topics so I thought I’d tell you how, this morning, the ocean lit up yellow at the horizon under a focused spill of sun. Cracks heaved in the aging tar on the private road past the red “No Trespassing” sign where we debated, and sighed, before turning back from the view of hulking rocks that amble, like a smooth line of elephants winding to the sea.

Later, salt air off the cold ocean triggered goose bumps with the kind of dampness that travels on a forecast of rain. Inhaling a cinnamon sweetness from blossoms hanging like laundry on a flowering pink magnolia, we approached the low tide sludge in a saltwater pond where ducks offered a soft “plonk, plonk” as we trudged by.

There was more I was going to say, so much more, but I took a break and read the essay attached to the link below by Dean Wesley Smith. It’s off topic and I’ll warn you the post is long, but it’s good lesson and will be worth the time invested. Having read it myself, now I’m off for more “focused” practice.

Killing the Sacred Cows of Publishing: Writers Don’t Need to Practice.

5 comments:

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

Two walks...wow. I usually try to walk twice a week. You make me think I need to go more often especially if it can inspire me as much as it did you. Great writing.

Elana Johnson said...

Wow, sounds like a lovely day. I can really see the colors from your words. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I don't know what your 'practice' session turned out like, but what you wrote here is really good.

glnroz said...

thnx for the article,, i bookmarked so I can go back over it. I got tired, with you talking about all that walking... good for you.. I think I wil think about maybe, perharps start doing exercise,, maybe

Sharon said...

Ah, what a lovely walk indeed. I'll check out the article later. I think I need to go take a walk right now.