Home   |   LCS Prints Store   |   About Me   |   FAQ   

Monday, April 19, 2010

Renewing and Redoing

I have yet to make it into the garden this year; green fingers poke through the moist ground with no encouragement from me; the saw-toothed foliage unfurled on the rose bushes while I wasn’t looking. Out back, tender sedum leaves emerge, though the bones of last year’s blossoms still scratch the air above them. Hosta plants push up like curled cigar wrappers while the antique tissue of old summer blooms sway above a hydrangea’s new leaves. All around, the gardens host threads of garlic chives that spread unbidden--lanky tresses of untrimmed hair.

It is past time to get out there and snip and rake, yank and prod, to toss last year into the compost pile so it can blend and decay and leach its remaining goodness into the earth. I'm off to clear around this impetuous growth, to remove winter wrappers and catch up with a rebirth.


7 comments:

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

I've hardly stepped foot outside this spring. But after your post, I feel a longing to get dirty and start pulling some weeds and making space for the beauty that is budding.

My goodness, you have such a beautiful way with words, Liza.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I mowed the lawn last week - does that count?

Robin said...

I've become a recluse. Is there life outside my house?

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

So richly described I feel like I've just walked through your garden. Have a happy hands-on day!

Jon Paul said...

Yeah--I need to get some more outside time too. What with packing and writing and other sundries, I'm as pale as a just pealed egg.

Maybe this weekend. Liza--great post, as usual.

Robin said...

Just wanted to let you know that I left you something on today's blog...

Tabitha Bird said...

It is going into winter here, but I am catching up with some re-birth in my own life :) Pleasure to be back reading your words Liza :)