Home   |   LCS Prints Store   |   About Me   |   FAQ   

Monday, February 14, 2011

An Experiment

Last Wednesday, I posted an excerpt for your perusal, and several of you offered concrete suggestions as to what I could do to make it better.  Skip now, if you will, to round two.   I set the piece up for “Tiger Mother” criticism and Domey Malasarn over at The Literary Lab, gave it a go.  If you are interested in reading some tough feedback on the piece, as well as “Tiger Mother” criticism on a couple of other posts, click here.
It's the first time I've thrown something out there knowing the feedback would be hard, hard, hard.  I didn't come out unscathed, but I did come out excited.  When someone offers you insight as to what can be fixed and you know, as soon as you read it, that the criticism is correct, it's like your baby has just toddled across the room for the first time.  She's a new walker, and she'll fall.  A lot.  But after a lot of practice, she'll end up running. 
Thank you Domey.

8 comments:

J.B. Chicoine said...

It was a fun experiment to participate in. I share your well stated sentiments exactly--or work is like "a new walker, and she'll fall. A lot. But after a lot of practice, she'll end up running."

I found it equally helpful to read all the critiques he offered.

Bish Denham said...

I so agree about being given a crit and recognizing that it's correct. It seems so obvious. Why can we see it for ourselves? That would be the REAL gift.

Kathryn Magendie said...

Yes, those "Aha!" lightbulb moments are wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Feedback is necessary, the good, the bad and the ugly. Better to know about what you are doing right and doing wrong up front and make necessary adjustments than to hear them after you've published your works.

Wine and Words said...

I think you're brave and wise. I wish you so much success with your "running" :)

Tamika: said...

Good for you Liza! It takes grit to brave the critique waters:)

You have a beautiful way with words so I know that whatever you pen will leave your reader engaged.

WritingNut said...

Good for you to put yourself out there! I'm going to go read the feedback now, but I'm very proud that you took the chance :).. congrats.

Unknown said...

It's so hard to put yourself out there, but it can help you grow so much--but not for the reason you might expect.

Sometimes the most you gain from it will be a toughening of the skin, and confidence in knowing when you you've done something right even in the face of others not liking it. Probably nothing goes further to develop 'style' than have others discuss your work.

Congrats!

EJW