Home   |   LCS Prints Store   |   About Me   |   FAQ   

Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Picture Unfolds

I’m not artistic, though my husband and daughter will tell you I obsess about recording the ever changing  landscapes that emerge where we live.  These days, I have to force myself to refrain from saying the words: “I wish I had the camera” when they are with me.  They are so sick of hearing it; one of them may clock me upside the head.

So imagine how tickled I was when blogging buddy, fellow online writing group member, talented artist and soon to be published novelist Bridget Chicoine asked she could paint one of my pictures.  Bridget’s book, Uncharted, A Story for a Shipwright, takes place in coastal New England, and she was looking for something appropriate to the story to paint. She chose my photo of a peeling wooden dory as her next project, and is depicting her progress on her artist blog: JB Chicoine Unsupervised & at Large.  If you’d like to watch as this talented woman develops her painting, click on the link.   To learn more about Bridget’s writing and Uncharted, click here.

While art doesn’t live in my fingers, I’m grateful it exists in my mind.  So as Bridget uses sienna or burnt umber as she layers and shadows her interpretation of my photo, I’ll stick with words in my attempt to sculpt the images that transform the land in front of me.

But as a back up, I'll keep taking pictures.

(This is NOT the picture Bridget is working on.  I'll let her reveal that when she's ready.)

14 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Oh how beautiful!! Hooraah for Bridget! And you're not bad yourself when it comes to taking pics!! :-) Hoorah for you! Take care
x

Tonja said...

That's awesome!

J.B. Chicoine said...

I'm pretty excited about this painting Liza, especially now that the wash is laid! And thank you so much for spending all that time, digging through your archives, to help me find something that hit that 'sweet spot'!

...and keep that camera on hand, you just might run into the perfect boatshed, bed & breakfast, or even better, a handsome shipwright! :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Your pictures are beautiful, Liza - keep taking them. And what an honor she wanted to paint one of them! Is it up on her site? I'll go look...

Reena said...

Well, this picture is stunning ... can't wait to see the reveal!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Wow, talk about concrete feed-back on the beauty of your pictures! Must feel kinda like one of your kids won a talent contest. Good for you. Congrats, and keep on taking those pictures.

Sharon said...

Lisa, I can't imagine a more beautiful combination of artists than you and Bridget. Can't wait to see both the photo and the finished painting.

Bish Denham said...

What an honor! You must be thrilled, it's rather like being an artist by proxy. Though taking a good picture requires an artists eye....

Wine and Words said...

I love how the inspiration of one, turns into the inspiration of another...and so on, and so on. Creativity is like an energy that is never lost. It just moves.

Carol Kilgore said...

What a great compliment to your photographic talent!

I'm like you because I don't always have my camera.

I take a lot of photos with my phone. No settings, but I always have it with me and I get the shot. And when I see it, I'm reminded of how it really looked. That works for me.

Anonymous said...

How thrilling for you! I just came back from her blog and she's amazing. Thanks for sharing the link!

Jennifer Shirk said...

WOW. I can't wait to see it!

Kittie Howard said...

Bridgett has good taste. But big applause for your artistic merit as well - your photos are beautiful. I love the triangulation in the one today.

Catherine Denton said...

I award you the title of artist--through words and camera lens. I enjoy your photos and your words. This one is gorgeous!
Catherine Denton