Home   |   LCS Prints Store   |   About Me   |   FAQ   

Monday, June 4, 2012

Out of Shape


I’ve arrived at a point where I’m just typing, and taking it on faith that words will come.

We’re in the middle a nasty Nor'easter.  Trees hunch with the weight of drenched leaves.  Rain blows sideways.  Last week, pine pollen wafted in a green mist through the upper skies, before coating everything indoors and out, with blond soot.  Apparently, the amount of pollen was the note that came due for our snow-free winter, plus warmer-than-usual temps in early spring.  Here in New England, we know deep in our guts,  nothing that good ever comes without cost.  In a proverbial, “half-full” moment though, I’ll express relief that this torrent is washing away all that sneezy grit.

A cold, wet afternoon like this, when there is nothing critical on the agenda, makes for a good day to wake up the old writing muscle.  I’ve been editing for so long that a blank page waiting to be filled feels like a stranger goading me, rather than an invitation from a dear friend.  I’ve accepted the challenge—but, since less than a molecule of creativity circles in my brain, as you can see, I’ve resorted to writing about the weather, which gets credit only, because it's less of a failure than failing to write at all. If I were in charge of the red pencil, I'd award the effort a D-, at best.

Like an out-of-shape athlete, the scribe in me needs a regimen of sit ups, push-ups and dedicated laps around the track, before it returns to good form. I expect it to fall on the grass, gasping, long before things come easily again.

Thanks for suffering through it with me.

14 comments:

Spanj said...

We all get times like this. And btw, I loved your description of the weather, it was poetic. The words will come back, they always do.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You'll get back into writing shape. I did! So I know you can.

Old Kitty said...

Hope you have a rest - the rains are back with a vengeance but at least it's clearing the air!

Take care
x

Robin said...

Even your commentary on the weather is interesting, so you've still got "it." Do you remember my exercise when I pulled a random word out of the hat and then clocked myself with 15 minutes to write on it? Just something to make the juices flow. It wasn't my best stuff. Maybe you can do something like that to kickstart yourself and then set sail... so to speak. Or not. Different things work for everyone. Just maybe doing something wacky and goofy and a little bit fun would be a good way to get rolling. Then you can get down and dirty with it (as in serious writer mode) once your brain fully turns on.

'Yellow Rose' Jasmine said...

It's always tough when this happens. Sometimes worse than others. And yet it is still a surprise when words don't come so readily.
Be patient with yourself and things will eventually work themselves out.
Good Luck!

Wine and Words said...

This makes me laugh. Resorting to talking about the weather is something I am intimately familiar with. Writing about the weather??? Well.... that's something only you can do as eloquently :)

Yvonne Osborne said...

Writing about the weather is a start. It's something we all have a stake and an interest in. I'm beginning to long for a stormy day with nothing to do but write!

glnroz said...

hummm, let me think,,, yep,, i give ya an A+...(never a D)

Carol Kilgore said...

Keep the faith. Words will come. Good words. Really good words :)

J.B. Chicoine said...

My Dad in New England always says "No good weather goes unpunished." Sometimes I wonder if that's applicable to writing also--"No creative writing binge goes unpunished--that is, without a dry spell."

...and as far as a dry spell goes, you even write an engaging weather post! :)

Anne Gallagher said...

Ha, for someone who can't write, you did a pretty good job.

Did I tell you (of course not) that I'm almost 99% sure we're going to RI in July/August. I'll send you an email.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

That description of the hunched trees and wafting pollen was so vivid. You have the poetic touch.
But I do know what you mean about feeling stalled sometimes. It's annoying, if nothing else.

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

I like reading about your weather. Beautifully said! :) I think your scribe is in good shape.

Anonymous said...

We all go through this. You'll be back in writing shape in no time. Now drop and give me twenty! Twenty pages, that is.