Home   |   LCS Prints Store   |   About Me   |   FAQ   

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

...and After


A place of normal one-foot waves, seaweed fifty yards across the street.


 

Tree roots taller than the scholar.  The boat is shrouded in green.          



We are blessed.   

Sandy bestowed nothing on us other than a light headache.  Power came back after 23 hours.  Our daughter’s campus closed for Monday and Tuesday so we had an unexpected and delightful long weekend with her. Amtrak emailed her at 2:30 this morning to let her know her 9:00 train back would not be running, precipitating a quick pre-dawn trip up north by my husband to get her back in time for classes.  That was an inconvenience sure, but in no way surmountable. The yard we spend all day Saturday and Sunday raking looks like we never touched it.  Why do we rake before a storm, you ask?  Sheer volume makes it a requirement! The pine tree uprooted in my in-laws yard did not hit my husband’s sailboat, stored less than five feet away.

I think of the folks in NY and NJ and other hard hit areas, and I say a prayer.  
  


15 comments:

mshatch said...

we were pretty lucky in Maine, too. It's sunny today and aside from a few extra leaves in my yard I escaped unscathed. Didn't even lose power. My sympathy to all those hard hit.

Old Kitty said...

Glad you are all alright! Take care
x

Carol Kilgore said...

I've said many prayers, too. I'm glad you're OK :)

glnroz said...

glad you missed the worst part,,, thoughts with the others...

Johanna Garth said...

I'm so glad the worst of it missed you guys! I was on the phone all day yesterday trying to get through to NYC friends & family.

Beth said...

Glad everything worked out.

Words A Day said...

glad you escaped the worst of it:)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Thank goodness you had so little damage. Tree fell just the right way I'd say. And you should've waited on the yard. The wind would've blown it all into the neighbor's yard.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

We were lucky too, only lost power for five hours and no major damage.

Sue said...

I'm glad all is well on the home front, but it looks like there's a lot of cleaning up to do.

I've been thinking about you a lot recently as a friend and relative have been made redundant and are trying to forge new pathways. Visiting you is comfortably grounding when I'm talking with them about the challenge and changes they're facing.

Sue

'Yellow Rose' Jasmine said...

Good to hear you are good in your cozy corner of the world. We are all thinking of those who are struggling through the aftermath of this terrible storm. I'm sure we can all find a way to help out.

Unknown said...

New follower from the QQQE. Glad it was only a slight headache from Sandy.

Elana Johnson said...

Glad you were relatively unscathed.

farawayeyes said...

Great query over at TheQQQE, imagine my surprise, that I'm already a follower. I have to get out and about more. Anxious to see what tomorrow brings.

Good news that your damage too serious. All the same, those are some mighty big tress to be brought down.

Robin said...

I watch the news and see the people on Staten Island, and other places in NY and NJ, who are still suffering SO MUCH and my heart just hurts. I know that you feel the same. I am so glad that you were blessed and not truly harmed in a lasting way by this storm. Sandy did so much damage.