Home   |   LCS Prints Store   |   About Me   |   FAQ   

Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Tap, Tap, Tap - IWSG July 2022

 


Welcome to IWSG Day. The goal of this blog hop is to share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a haven for insecure writers of all kinds. IWSG is the brainchild of the amazing and generous  Alex Cavanaugh. Thank you to co-hosts for July: J Lenni Dorner, Janet Alcorn, PJ Colando, Jenni Enzor, and Diane Burton! To read other contributors to IWSG click here.

July optional question: If you could live in any book world, which one would you choose?

In high school, I read a book called Celia Garth by Gwen Bristow, the fictional story of a young woman in Charleston during the American Revolution. It left me with a yearning to visit the South Carolina low country. Over the years since, I’ve read so many southern authors, Pat Conroy, Cormac McCarthy, Anne Rivers Siddons, Dorothea Benton Frank. If a book had the potential to mention a low country sunset, I was all in.

By the time my daughter moved to Charleston for a period and the chance came to visit, I could name the places I wanted to see –Trad Street, Rainbow Row, the Battery, Fort Sumpter, Sullivan’s Island, Folly Beach. She ended moving back there for a few years and through subsequent visits, I became familiar with the area. How I loved driving Route 17 from Charleston to Savannah and seeing kids casting shrimp nets by the side of the road, or slow trawlers waddling out to sea. I witnessed sunsets over winding creeks that were so beautiful they made me want to cry— it was all there everything I read about in those books I so enjoyed.

But would I want to live there? Well, no, but not because the location doesn’t speak to me. It’s just that I lean equally toward books that feature New England. Perhaps it’s the familiarity that draws me in. I feel blessed to live less than an hour from a metropolitan city, but also close to lobster boats, farmers, apple orchards and tumbled stone walls, plus so much history almost everywhere we walk we mark famous footsteps. Case in point, two participants of the Boston Tea Party are buried in my town cemetery.

The other morning, I sat at my computer drafting this piece and looked out the window to see a truck from the local dairy farm delivering fresh milk in glass bottles to my neighbors. Where else does this happen anymore? When I read books that take place in this world, it’s like my oldest best friend, coming to visit.

So, to answer this month’s question, I can only say this. I'll always welcome an opportunity to visit the low country, but as Dorothy  said so famously as she tapped her ruby slippers, “There’s no place like home.”




If you could live in any book world, where would you live?


17 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's the best feeling - when home is where your heart resides. Been to Charleston many times and it is a cool town.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I loved hearing about the two Boston Tea Party participants and the milk bottle delivery. You made me feel like I was there. :)

Janet Alcorn said...

New England is both beautiful and steeped in history. Every time I read a book with a strong sense of place, I wonder what it would be like to live there. It's part of what makes reading so magical.

Karen Baldwin said...

Yup...no place like home...and nothing like fresh milk delivered. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I'm born and bred Midwest. In my younger years, I considered moving someplace more hip. But now, there's really no place I'd rather be than right where I am.

Elizabeth Mueller said...

I agree--there's no place like home!

Victoria Marie Lees said...

Ah--home! If I really think about it, THIS is where I'd like to reside and write and enjoy. Great idea Liza! I love travelling and visiting national parks and interesting towns. But in the end, I'm with you! There's no place like home. All best to you!

Carol Kilgore said...

I love Charleston and the Low Country, too, but wouldn't want to live there. You captured here the reason all my books are set in Texas. It's home.

Jenni said...

What a beautiful post. I tend to like books set in the South too. Maybe it's because I've never been there and it's such a different culture and geography from where I live (Pacific Northwest). On my one visit to New England, I loved the history and the beautiful green hills. But I still love the tall peaks and the glorious Oregon Coast that's only an hour's drive in either direction.

Denise Covey said...

Charleston sounds cool, especially the way Pat Conroy describes it. So pleased to meet someone who likes Pat Conroy, and Cormac McCarthy, two of my faves. Pat Conroy wrote my favorite book, Beach Music. So many cool worlds to inhabit!

J Lenni Dorner said...

I had no idea milk delivery still occurred.
Plenty of books do take place in New England. So lots of worlds to escape into.

For the IWSG July prompt asking which book world I would live in, I narrowed it down to three choices.
One is a short-story I published. One is from a popular series. And one is better known from television, but there are books. It's all on my blog.
"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett
Over at Operation Awesome, our Pass or Pages query contest is open this week with July's family saga genre. Know any writers who might want to enter?


J Lenni Dorner (he/him 👨🏽 or 🧑🏽 they/them) ~ Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge, OperationAwesome6 Debut Author Interviewer, Reference& Speculative Fiction Author

Damyanti Biswas said...

I agree! There is no place like home. Coming back to your nest after a long day feels good :D

Jan Morrison said...

Yes - home is best and to read is to be home and travel anywhere you like! Hope you are well and writing away dear person!

Fundy Blue said...

Such a beautifully written post, Liza! Thanks for sharing these special places. Wherever I travel, it's always wonderful to turn into the driveway as we return home. Have a lovely summer!

Gwen Gardner said...

Such a great description that now I want to go there! LOL.

I chose Harry Potter world--I'm a big adventurous kid at heart ;)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Liza - fun post ... oddly we still have milk bottle deliveries here - I don't have them, but used to about 20 years ago! My family does though. Home is where the heart is - and I could create stories around some chapters of my life - cheers Hilary

Nick Wilford said...

Both those locations sound very atmospheric. I'd love to visit either.