Home   |   LCS Prints Store   |   About Me   |   FAQ   

Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Happy Anniversary - IWSG September 2023


Welcome to IWSG Day. The goal of this blog hop is to share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a haven for insecure writers of all kinds. IWSG is the brainchild of Alex Cavanaugh
Thank you to September’s co-hosts: J Lenni Dorner, Sonia DograPat Garcia , Sarah - The Faux Fountain Pen. and Meka James. To find posts from other contributors, click here.

This month's topic: The IWSG celebrates 12 years today! When did you discover the IWSG, how do you connect, and how has it helped you? Feel free to elaborate on your connection with the IWSG as we celebrate another milestone.

After reading today’s optional question, I scrolled back over the years to the first IWSG post I wrote twelve years ago for that inaugural IWSG. That summer we’d been preparing for our only child to go to college and I felt like life was running away from me. Other than blogging and some freelance work, I’d given myself a break from writing for a couple of months. But now our girl was gone and I struggled to get back to my writing routine.  My topic was one most of us could write about today, the push-pull about how to prioritize writing time when the rest of our lives drive us in other directions—pretty much a universal theme.

I’m fairly incredulous when I think of how my life has changed since that first essay, but one thing that has remained consistent over the years has been a monthly reminder to write an IWSG post. No matter how I’m feeling about writing or life in general, I make myself sit down and pound out a piece. To my knowledge, I’ve never missed one. Twelve times twelve. A hundred and forty-four essays. I may not have achieved other writing goals, but at least I know have staying power.

But IWSG means more to me than sticking it out over the long haul. When I’ve been anxious, frustrated or uninspired, individuals in this group have provided thoughtful suggestions and challenges to get me moving again. At the lowest time of my life I wrote a post and the sincere comments I received helped me inch forward through my worst days ever. There is a kindness in this community for which I am always grateful. And while I’ve only participated in one anthology (The Insecure Writers Support Group Guide to Publishing and Beyond), I was tickled to see my name in print there. Even now I'm proud that my essay demonstrates a clear voice.

IWSG is all about community. I’d be remiss if I didn’t take this time to extend my thanks to Alex Cavanaugh for founding and growing IWSG to the online writing resource that it is today. And to the administrators and all those who have co-hosted over the years, please know how much I appreciate your efforts.

As we all know, writing can be a lonely practice. For me, IWSG means once a month, I see beyond my keyboard, beyond my quiet house to all those folks putting their unique thoughts out to the IWSG world and find comfort in knowing I am one of many.

What has IWSG meant to you?

 

19 comments:

Karen Baldwin said...

Writing is a lonely endeavor and I like that I can plug in anytime and feel welcome.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's the best response I've read today! If you haven't missed one, yes, that is a huge writing achievement. Thank you for being a part of the IWSG.

Sarah Foster said...

Wow, you've been with the IWSG since the very beginning and never missed a post! That's amazing!

Jan Morrison said...

I'm not one bit surprised at your sticking power and in full agreement with your assessment of the IWSG! It is a loverly group. I missed the first one and came aboard in October. For sure I've missed some but I've persevered. One of the reasons I have is you! Everything you say about the group reflects my experience of you.

Nick Wilford said...

It's that sense of community. Knowing others are going through or have gone through similar challenges. When you can't necessarily express those things to those in your immediate circle, it's invaluable.

Joanne said...

I have enjoyed the monthly posts and the newsletters. It is a united community. Alex and crew make everyone welcome, and it's a steady hand in an uncertain world. I've enjoyed your work, in particular. Here's to many more years to come. Cheers.

Natalie Aguirre said...

It sounds like you joined the IWSG at a perfect time in your life. I joined a little later than you. Like you, I've gone through some huge life changes over the years, and the IWSG community has been there to support me through my challenging times.

Beth Camp said...

I too joined IWSG just 11 years ago (and was amazed to realize how many years IWSG has been a part of my writing life). You capture beautifully how much being a part of this writing community has meant to the writing life. Thank you.

Michelle Wallace said...

Wow! You've never missed a post? That is AMAZING!
I've also been with the group from its inception and it's kept me going all these years. The IWSG has such a wonderful sense of community, which is hard to find in online groups.
Happy IWSG Anniversary Day!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Your blog is one I've been visiting since the start. My daughter went to school at BU so I was often in your neck of the woods. I remember enjoying lots of photos and also that 'lowest' time. I'm so glad to have met you here.

Fundy Blue said...

What a beautiful, heartfelt post, Liza! I'm glad that the IWSG has been meaningful and encouraging for you! It has for me too. Take care! xox

J Lenni Dorner said...

IWSG is a very active blogging community of writers, and that's what I love most about it. GREAT post.
"The only thing you absolutely have to know is the location of the library." – Albert Einstein quote
September is library card sign-up month! Get one, use one, and be grateful such places exist.

J Lenni Dorner (he/him 👨🏽 or 🧑🏽 they/them) ~ Speculative Fiction &Reference Author, OperationAwesome6 Debut Author Interviewer, and

Charlotte (MotherOwl) said...

Gratz on a gross of essays - and all your other accomplishments over the years.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Yes, it's all about community and this community has helped me keep moving forward.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Liza - that is amazing that you've written every month - that's great news for you - congratulations. I love your comment 'There is a kindness in this community for which I am always grateful' ... I couldn't agree more. It's just great to be around - take care and cheers Hilary

Victoria Marie Lees said...

IWSG. We are always here to help each other. Care for each other. Great post, Liza. Have a beautiful weekend!

Denise Covey said...

Liza, it's beyond wonderful that you've never missed an IWSG post. I've only missed a couple. It'd be wonderful to have you write for WEP again!

chickangell said...

You definitely do have staying power!
Something I am hoping to work on better with this group. I need a solid constant in my life of upheaval. www.heidiangell.com

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

A hundred and forty-four essays, I hadn't done the math. Impressive!!