Home   |   LCS Prints Store   |   About Me   |   FAQ   

Monday, May 23, 2016

Thinking Good Thoughts

In spite of spastic robins and missing hummingbirds and temperatures that still lurk unseasonably low, there is hope for the good guys. 

We took a quick road trip to northern Maine this weekend for a family celebration, where the thermometer topped eighty, and sipping beer in a local brew pub overlooking the Penobscot River reminded me of college days. It reminded me too, that just as micro-brews come in small batches, we also live in a micro-climate.  The sea breeze that has been freezing us out lately dissipated as we traveled farther inland.  In spite of my wining, spring is here.

Ever optimistic, Friday, before we left, I planted tomatoes.  On Sunday when we returned, I planted basil.  Memorial Day is coming.  In three weeks, we'll celebrate summer.  It's all good, regardless of what the thermometer says.

Happy Monday.  Wishing you all a positive week.

11 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you got out and experienced some spring. Yours is coming!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Liza - wonderful lilac .. and what fun to see family and friends, try some micro beers (bet they were bigger than micro, but still!) .. and generally see Spring springing ... enjoy - cheers Hilary

Connie said...

Your lilacs are beautiful! They are one of my favorites. I'm glad that warmer weather has finally arrived for you. Happy Spring!

Leandra Wallace said...

I bet Maine was beautiful! My petunias on my back porch are doing really good. Here in IN, we've already had some pretty warm days. Without the humidity, yay! But it's coming...

Joanne said...

There you go - spring is truly trying to shine your way. Glad you got a break and yes, Memorial Weekend means it's "summer". Trust me, I'll be whining soon when it hits 99 and 100 in TX. and it's not a "dry heat", more like hell.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I hope to enjoy some springtime sun and warmth soon. It is, unfortunately, still raining most days here in PA.

mshatch said...

My lilacs are almost blooming and I've put my petunias out and I need to mow so spring is definitely here :)

Yay!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I'm glad your cold spell is breaking (finally). We had a rainy winter in Seattle. but spring is here now. I've got tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, carrots all planted. The peonies and roses are blooming. Feels good. :)

Robin said...

Liza,

Take this comment in the light-hearted (super fun spirit) it is written. Who doesn't love spastic Robins???? Also, it's probably because of your wining that spring is here. If it hadn't come, the wine would've run out. I mean, a person can only drink so much wine...;)

Pixel Peeper said...

Happy spring! Lovely lilacs - I miss them here.

Shannon Lawrence said...

We've had oddly cold weather blowing in over the mountains from the west coast, too. I'm hoping we'll get back up in the 70s soon. I'd like to enjoy some temperate weather before high desert summer hits!